Thursday 27 September 2007

This Might Make a Great Film...

The 'this would be a difficult film to adapt' thread got me thinking about my favorite book of all time, William Faulkner's The Sound And The Fury. Most of the impact of the book comes about through the way it is written, i.e. the way it focalises the narrative through the thought processes and streams of consciousness of the different characters. And it begins with a segment from Benjamin, a mentally handicapped man, now in his thirties (or thereabouts, if I remember right). It is blindingly original and, like with all of Faulkner's novels, written in staggeringly beautiful prose. I think only someone of the calibre and attention to detail of Terrence Malick could possibly make a success of it. It also jumps around chronologically and two characters have the same name, which is very confusing the first time you read it but would be less so on film. It is also full of comment and thought about the nature and stupidity of prejudice and ignorance (again, very Faulknerian themes) and equally full of beautiful ideas. For instance, it starts with Benjamin walking next to a golf course just to hear the golfers call out "Caddy", the name of his beloved, missing, sister and the emotional impact hits from the word go. The first part of The Sound And The Fury is, quite simply, perfect and I can't ever imagine ever reading anything so brilliantly and originally done. It would take a true master to make it into a great film, which it certainly could be in the right hands.
I've also just learnt that a film was made under the title in 1959 ("loosely" based on the book) and staring, oh dear, Yul Brynner. And, apparently, another version is planned for 2008, but I know no more than that. I wait with bated breath. It would be difficult, if not quite impossible, to pull off, so I wait anxiously. If someone tells me Malick is making it, I'll go and buy my ticket now! And if someone has a spare copy of the 1959 version lying around, I'll brave the insipid Brynner out of curiosity and pure adoration of the book so, please, send it my way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Our updates Recent articles: