Sunday 2 September 2007

The Talented Mr Ripley

Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law and Matt Damon in The Talented Mr Ripley


I've been away on holiday, so apologies for my complete lack of reviews. My esteemed colleague has done an unbelievable amount in my absence and I'm sure you'll all agree that the site and the blog both look amazing!!!

So, anyway, The Talentless Mr Ripley... I really thought I'd hate this as it has two of my most hated performers, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow, both of whom deliver huge dollops of unconvinceingness in equal measure (except for Law in AI, where I like him), for me at least. Though I know that opinion is not generally reflected across the film-watching public. Paltrow is at her worst here, lending nothing to a character I didn't care a jot for and her plight (such as it was) meant nothing to me. Law, however, was good, though as the arrogant, philandering, self-obsessed, vacuous playboy, maybe that's not all that surprising. He's bettered by Matt Damon, however, who delivers a sophisticated, troubled, performance. It's not a role he would have been my first choice for (perhaps, ironically, Philip Semymour Hoffman would have been up there) but he pulls it off well and is ultimately let down by the script and the subject matter. It just doesn't work, it didn't hold my attention and I didn't care about any of the characters, with the possible exception of Meredith Logue, played by the always excellent Cate Blanchett, who manages to lend a surprising and welcome vulnerability to another (on-the-face-of-it) vacuous character. She lends something deeper to an ultimately shallow and unengaging world. It ends up playing like an F. Scott Fitzgerald story gone hideously off kilter and, despite a solid performance from Damon at the film's centre, fails to hit the spot. Finally, I should mention Hoffman, who is brilliant as the utterly obnoxious and detestable Freddie Miles. There is - regrettably - not enough of him.

In all honesty, I was very surprised how much I disliked this. I've never heard a bad word about it and I've just noticed that it (and its performers) feature prominently in my esteemed colleague's lists for 1999. I hope we're not heading for WW3, but I just didn't get this, it did nothing for me, I cared nothing for the characters and was, at times, not far from switching off. Ultimately I found it hollow and unengaging though, equally, it's far from being the worst thing I've seen.

D+

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear, Matthew, I'm afraid you've done it again. Get with the program!

Mr Ripley is a brilliant film, which kept me gripped from beginning to end. Did you not feel deep despair at the end of the film when he realised that he would have to kill Miles from This Life in order to continue his deception?

This is deffo in my top 20 of all time, but then so is the Horse whisperer, so whaddo I know? x

Matt said...

Clearly you know a lot because it's number 10 in Mr Lapish's all-time list! I realise I'm not with the programme on this one, I meant it when I said I hadn't heard a bad word or met anyone who doesn't like it.
But I'm afraid I just didn't care, it did nothing for me and I wasn't gripped at all. Was really disappointed and pretty surprised at how much I disliked it. Should have mentioned Jack Davenport as well, who was good as Peter, and that nice little turn by Phiip Baker Hall as the PI.
Never seen the Horse Whisperer, but it's directed by the legend that is Robert Redford so it can't be that bad.
Thanks for commenting on our site, you're the only one who does!!!! Keep brutalising my reviews! Commenting = good!

Thanks!

Adam said...

Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Blasphemy.

Paltrow is utterly mesmerising. What about the scene where she challenges Damon with "I don't belive a single word you're saying", delivering fear and anger in equal measure. Oscar worthy stuff. Every single performance in this film is outrageously good. My favourite line delivery actually comes from Damon when he spots Meredith on the boat "Hello Meredith" - just riddled with despair whilst trying to appear normal. Jack Davenport is great, Baker Hall is great, James Rebhorn likewise. Seymour Hoffman is wonderful --"Is there something you'd lie to say Freddie?" --"I think I'm saying it" - awesome awesome awesome. Law is breathtaking as well - perfectly cast.

I'm rambling cause I'm in a rush but I love this film and you've made me want to watch it again tonight!