Friday 21 September 2007

The Defiant Ones


The magnetic duo: Poitier and Curtis in The Defiant Ones

I actually saw this a long time ago, but I've been saving the review for when I had no more left to write and because the film gave me so much pleasure.

And there are primarily two main reasons why The Defiant Ones is such a good film. Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis. The electricity, sparkle, dynamism and chemistry these two fantastic actors provide is second to none. And, like with Poitier and Rod Steiger in In The Heat of The Night (A+), they are very difficult to separate. But, like in ITHOTN, Poitier just edges it. Poitier is a very easy actor to like, and a very easy actor to say you like (David Brent's haplessness in The Office on this matter certainly mirrors reality) but few people, I genuinely believe, honestly recognise just how damn good the guy is. I'm putting my 'best ever actors' (and actresses) list together (it's tough work) as I write and Poitier has edged into number one spot just ahead of another favorite of mine, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, and he now has three 10/10 A+ performances (in my book). He's not quite as good as he is in ITHOTN (hardly a criticism) and the role is less challenging than Homer Smith in Lilies of the Field (for which he won an Oscar) but Poitier purrs along in harmony with Curtis and the result is a stunning whole and you find yourself completely gripped to the plight of the two (they play convicts on the run). And this really is their film and they make it everything it is. Believe me. The supporting cast is among the worst I've ever seen on film. But, somehow, you don't care, so good and compelling are the leads.

In essence it's a very simple, narrative, film about the struggle of two men on the run with an obvious political statement, which, while perhaps not as obvious as ITHOTN, is no less powerful for it. And it carried an important message which hits home. This, remember, was made a full 9 years before ITHOTN, which is more often picked out as carrying a forceful, anti-racism, message. That said, judging this solely as a movie, it is fantastic stuff and great cinema and you can't say more than that. And the cinematography is among the best I've ever seen for a black and white movie.

Excellent, compelling and exciting stuff. I'm already looking forward to my second viewing. Highly recommended.

A

No comments: