Saturday 29 September 2007

The Sunday Morning Political Slot : )

One major issue on my mind this week:

Remakes

The recent appearance of Rob Zombie's Halloween has prompted a load of thoughts in my mind. Not least, why remake a film? So I thought I'd share some thoughts and see if I could drum up a bit of debate.
I think it could be safely agreed that remaking a bad film which no one likes is one, very obvious, reason. Of course, the problem with this is that there are probably no films that no one likes at all and, therefore, someone will always object to the remake. And they are perfectly within their rights to thunder back "well, what difference does it make if it's popular? Why remake the film anyway?". This is absolutely true. Our feelings towards films are fundamentally subjective and no one can tell us we're 'right' or 'wrong' (though, of course, people frequently do - see the last outing of this slot a couple of weeks back for an example, the imdb message boards). So, really, is there much of a point to this post?
Well, I think there is because I'm afraid, like the last one, it's going to end with a healthy dose of cynicism. I just don't see the point of remaking certain films unless you do it for money. Directors talk of "new interpretations" and "new imaginings", but, really, is this true? I can honestly say I've seen very few remakes which offer a re-imagining of the original premise, but I'm sure I will be corrected there. I've heard this about The Thin Red Line, for example, which I love, but I've never seen the original so can't honestly comment. Okay, I have Halloween largely in mind here. Just what is the point? It's about as perfect a horror film as can be and was hugely innovative and influential in its time, particularly in relation to John Carpenter's use of camerawork and the way Michael Myers lurks in the shadows throughout.

I really and truly don't see what could possibly be added to it by remaking it! Possibly a bit more could be added on Michael as a very young boy, but it would be very difficult to do without being utterly crass and possibly more could be added on the supernatural side but the same issue as before would inevitably arise. I don't think the 'greatest' directors on planet earth could possibly add anything to a film like Halloween. But maybe people who don't like the film could see things that could be bettered or done very differently? I would be very interested to hear, which is my I'm writing this post in the first place. Similarly, rumours persist of a Jaws remake. Why, why, why? What is the point except to make money? Okay, someone might respond, but the money these remakes make will help to make new films that you will like, so why are you getting so het up about it? That, I think, is a fair point, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that a lot of people feel very upset about their favorite films, which they often believe to be, or be near to be, perfect, being remade. Ikiru is also being remade into a Hollywood movie and, okay, this adds another level of complexity to the issue because of the intended audience (not the case with Halloween) but I still fail to see the point of that too, except, it could be argued, to reach out to a new audience with a very emotional and beautiful story. Re-imaginings in the way that The Magnificent Seven borrowed heavily from the Seven Samurai bring yet another level to the discussion and we're getting into very complex territory indeed. What is okay, what has a purpose, and what is not okay and does not have a purpose? Difficult, and I'm sure every movie-going person will feel very differently on the issue. And, further, is it not okay to 'update' a film?

In short, I think this is a hot issue it will be very difficult to find common ground over. I'm not totally averse to my favorite movies being remade (I'd give Halloween an A+, firmly believe it can't be bettered, but I'll still go and see the remake), I'm just not sure of the point of it as there are very few movies I can honestly say there would be a great point in remaking, even if they are not perfect. The story has already been told and you're making quite an arrogant claim to suggest you could do it better, especially where a genius is involved. Who would dare to remake Citizen Kane? Somebody is probably now going to tell me that this has already happened!

One final point. This is, fundamentally, about creativity. I like new ideas, I like new stories and new characters and remakes do take room away from new material. This, I think, is incontrovertible. Take Jaws. Clearly there is a market for films abut sharks, but I can see nothing in Jaws that can be improved as Jaws. It's pretty much perfect. The characters are great, the shark-in-the-shadows is great, the story is great and it has some of the most brilliant scenes in movie history. Leave it alone and tell a new story with a different twist. One such story would be 12 Days of Terror, which has been made into a straight to T.V. movie. Now, this suggests that the film could be bettered (that said, I've seen it and it's not at all bad, a lot better in fact than much pap which makes it to the big screen) and, indeed, it could but it contains a very interesting story which could be developed in a number of ways (which I won't spoil) Jaws simply doesn't allow for. Here's a link to the book.

There is room for remakes, they just have to be well chosen. 12 Days of Terror is, I would argue, a perfect candidate. It is a true story, the events of which, indeed, inspired Peter Benchley to write Jaws, and a great deal could be done with the attacks and the story and the characters around them. And it would be sure to make money if it was well handled.
I think other people's criteria of why to remake films would be very different, so let me have it, am fascinated to hear other views on this difficult subject.

And, my apologies if I bored you. Here's the trailer for Halloween in compensation. Or, should that read "punishment" : )

Thanks for reading!

Matt

1 comment:

Adam said...

Tricky subject. Have you heard of/ seen Psycho 98 - Gus Van Sant's shot by shot remake of Hitchcock's origianl?! The ultimate example of "what's the point?" but I guess it was more experiment than anything else.

Nice post by the way, haven't seen the original Halloween so may have to wait before I see the remake.