Sunday 23 September 2007

Requiem for a Dream

Just a quickie rather than a full review. Caught this for the first time tonight, and it's one of those that I'd had no reason to avoid all these years, just never got around to it. I think Aranofsky's very talented and this is an improvement on Pi, which was a fine debut effort. I wouldn't say I was gripped by this though. I do however admire Aranofsky's visual style, the editing and score were both great but the highlight was undoubtedly Burstyn, who was terrific as you'd expect from Matt's number 2 all time female performance.

B+

1 comment:

Matt said...

Nice to see we (almost!) agree. Makes me think back fondly to 2000, what a year for films. I gave this A- and it still didn't make my top five for the year, very harsh indeed. A superb film and agree with everything you said, particularly about the visual style, the stylish editing and the superb soundtrack (which has stayed with me like a haunting refrain).
To anyone who hasn't seen this, I really can't emphasise enough just how good Ellen Burstyn is. Stunning performance brilliantly drowned in pathos.
And... Show this film to kids in school and I guarantee it will reduce the amount who experiment with drugs. Hard-hitting and all the better for it.
A must watch for anyone. And you know it must be if Adam and I agree!!!!