Sunday 2 September 2007

I Can't Wait To See...

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford


A great cast (Brad Pitt, Zooey Deschanel, Paul Schneider, Sam Shepard, Ted Levine), a good director (Andrew Dominik, who helmed the impressive Chopper (B+)), interesting subject material (as this month's Empire comments, James is something of a cult hero in America, despite being a cold blooded killer), a superb title (!) and has already been heralded as 'genre bending'.
Whispers of "Malick" have surrounded the project for a while and, as I'm going to be waiting until 2009, at least, for the master's next film (his pet project, Tree of Life), this will have to do for now. Expect wistful, dreamy beauty amidst the violence and universal human themes (loyalty, betrayal, revenge, friendship). I'm very excited about this, I'm expecting it to feature prominently in my year end lists, despite rumours of a troubled production. Here's the trailer to tantalise you further...



Looks awesome. And Casey Affleck, who I haven't mentioned, looks to be an excellent piece of casting. Should be the kind of beautiful, ambiguous film to stay with you long after the curtain falls. I for, one, can't wait.

No comments: