Friday 22 August 2008

Top 25 Scenes of all Time

#24: Merrill and Graham on the Sofa (Signs) (2002)




Only on #24 and already controvsery arises. Most people hated Signs. Except me. I fucking loved it. If you don't believe me, read my 'In Defence of Signs' on this very site. I particularly loved Joaquin Phoenix's performance - he gives one of those absolute, almost inaudible, depictions of ordinariness you would almost miss it if it wasn't so startling. From his little nudge towards Lional Wolfington in the army recruitment office (genius) to his frighteningly real telling off of Graham's son Morgan (Rory Culkin) for saying "I wish you were my Dad", Phoenix's performance bristles with imagination, insight, depth and brilliance. This is the film's standout moment, reflective of (but sadly not on a par with) a similar-ish scene from Jaws, at least in terms of the emotional context it sits in and the emotional punch it's attempting (very successfully as it happens) to throw.

Merrill and Graham swap stories whilst trying somehow to bridge a large divide that has fallen between them, despite (as we learn from another part of the film) Merrill's best efforts. It could be one of those awful scenes that shamelessly plugs the film's name ("are you...the sort of person, who sees miracles, who sees signs), but it isn't, somehow remaining magical, ordinary and believable. A conversation you could genuinely imagine two men having - and with a suitable emotional distance between them - upon finding out that aliens might be possibly about to destroy all civilsation. It's just so believable and so watchable, I look forward to it relentlessly whenever I start watching Signs (which, I'm afraid, is far too often). In fact, this has got me in the mood, I might even go and watch it again now.

Oh, and a warning - I'm afraid Signs might well appear again later in my list.

10 comments:

Matt said...

Adam - have replied with my views to your questions below : )

Anonymous said...

Adam, you're an idiot. Giving a D- to "Persona" is stupid. Your questions are even worse because it has the best performances, cinematography etc. ever. Also, the opening montage makes a lot of sense if you actually paid attention to the film. Go back watching "Hannibal".

Adam said...

I have no doubt that much of Persona's conent went straight over my head so in that sense it is probably fair to call me an idiot. However, I stand by my contention that it would work just as well, if not even better, on stage.

I'd also question what you mean by the "best performances ever"? Only one performance in the entire picture was cited by any awards body anywhere on earth and that was Bibi Andersson, so what are the other "best performances ever" of which you speak? The acting is not even the best of that year let alone ever and I don't think even the most ardent Persona fans would agree with you there. However, I grant you that I am not speaking as a fan of the picture so might not be objective.

You're definitely wrong on one thing: accusing me of not paying attention to the film is way off the mark since I was. It was not through lack of application that made me unable to meet the challenge of correctly interpreting the rather intellectually dense material. I was trying!

Care to explain that opening montage for me?

Unknown said...

ha ha brilliant - who is 'anonymous'?

Adam said...

Someone who claims they understood the opening montage of Persona but when asked to explain it disappears off the face of the earth.

Mind you if I could be bothered I'm sure google would come up with a couple of coherent analyses. I cannot be bothered though!

ktjacobs said...

Why did "anonoymous" put all the film titles in "inverted commas" ? Unnecessary rudeness if you ask me. And whats wrong with watching "Hannibal"?! (sorry matt)

ktjacobs said...

P.S. I didnt mean it was rude to put film titles in inverted commas!!, i meant calling you an idiot was rude obviously :)

Unknown said...

I agree - I liked Hannibal Especially if that was the one where he took the top of that guys head off

Matt said...

I have to agree with everyone. You can disagree with his review and with his opinions, but you can't call him an idiot - the review was excellent, intelligent and well based on evidential opinion. I've never seen it, or any other Bergman film for that matter, which is poor, so I should sort that out, but I can't offer an opinion.

Bloody Hannibal. I've decided I'm going to read the book, give the damn film another try, and see if there is something I've missed. I thought it was so disappointing, a poor follow-up to Silence, which I adore and watch fairly frequently.

Adam said...

Calling me an idiot is fine. I like a bit of contfrontation every now and again. Criticising Hannibal however...