Wednesday 31 October 2007

Zodiac

It's rare that we agree, but, though I can't remember exactly what my colleague wrote, I think we're going to give this the same grade (unless I'm getting very confused, which frequently happens).

Zodiac follows a (loosely, at least) true story around a series of murders committed in the San Francisco area in the 1970's. It also takes a very clear position on who actually committed those murders, although (from the small amount of research I've done) it now appears that the man the film fingers has been cleared by DNA evidence. He's also been dead for a while, as the end of the film points out.

All in all it's a highly engaging, well-paced, thriller you can't take your eyes off. The mood and the pace are very well judged and the tension, while never aspiring to Silence of the Lambs like levels, builds nicely is overall pretty effective.
But, as with all films like this, the key lies in the performances. The film is full of interesting characters (with the exception of Anthony 'Dr Green' Edwards' dull detective) well played by the leads. My faith in Jake Gyllenhaal is restored after an unconvincing turn in Brokeback Mountain and Mark Ruffalo, an actor I had not consciously noticed or remembered before, is now on my radar.

The standout, however, is the comeback kid, Robert Downey Jr, whose eccentric, amusing and well-judged (sorry to repeat the phrase) journalist is the film's true highlight. It's a real shame that his character disappears in the last hour or so and somewhat unceremoniously. I don't know what that's about, perhaps they were just following the source material (the book written in real life by Robert Graysmith, Gyllenhaal's character) but that could have been got around and it is something of a disappointment. However, as things stand, all three will be shortlisted for my year-end top 5. There is also a nice little relationship between Graysmith and Melanie (Chloe Sevigny) which could have been developed more if it had been given more screen time.

Apparently, this story influenced Se7en, also directed by David Fincher. I'm not sure it's quite as good, but it certainly merits comparison.

A-

4 comments:

Matt said...

Whoops, forgot grade again...

A-

Adam said...

Same grade indeed, glad you liked it. Will be in my top 5 as well unless something unexpected happens, which I hope it does cause it'll mean I see some awesome films!

You know you can edit posts right?! Saves putting your grade in the comments. Or is it a deliberate ploy to get people to this screen so they leave a message?!

Ruffalo is brilliant in You Can Count On Me which you really should have seen by now!

Matt said...

I wish I could say I was clever enough to think of that, but I'm not! You're right though, it is a good ploy. I've discovered the editing facility, but keep forgetting about it!
Have been meaning to see You Can Count On Me for ages, don't suppose you have a copy?? : )

Adam said...

Am afraid not. Actually a film I should buy though.