Sunday 7 October 2007

Kenny

Either I'm getting more and more easy to please or this is turning in to a fine year for film. I'm already into double figures of films I'd recommend and this one, yet another fine comedy, is the latest. Kenny is a mockumentary that showcases, naturally enough, Kenny: an Australian portable toilet plumber.

What sounds like an exercise in toilet humour and lowest common denominator gags, is actually an intelligent, sweet and an times searingly funny film. There's probably half a dozen truly brilliant lines, all of which will be vying for my quote of the year, but I'll resist the temptation of posting them all in this review as it'll spoil all the fun, but I will post gem one just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

"I had a mate who's advice on marriage was 'cut out the middle man; find someone you hate and buy them a house.'"

Not only are there some great one-liners, but this is a script with a decent story arc and character development - not something you often find in comedies and not something you perhaps expect in a 90 minute mock documentary. Credit must go to the writers, brothers Clayton and Shane Jacobsen - the former also directs and the latter stars as Kenny. A fine family effort and the latest in a string of very good comedies this year.

B+

No comments: