Wednesday 17 September 2008

Maguire Confirmed for Spiderman 4 and 5

Good news for some, including me, as it had been rumoured that Maguire was bailing, leaving huge webby shoes for someone to fill. Couldn't see the point of them continuing without him to be honest. I'll be looking forward to these since the three previous efforts have all earned a B+ from me, including the last one which met with mixed critical reception, to say the least. That said, I think the filmmakers will have to do something a bit different to excite me and will have to plough new ground. Otherwise, it might be a bit of a case of 'seen it all before' and they might well regret, after all, cramming so much into Spiderman 3. Still, Raimi is an intelligent filmmaker, the character is well established, there is room for development of the story arcs and room for development, so there is hope. Also, the franchise certainly hasn't shown signs of decline the way, say, the first Batman franchise did after Batman Returns, or the sharp plummet of the hopeless Matrix trilogy (and I could mention more, I'm sure). So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and look forward to the appearance of these.

I think my colleague might take more convincing....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are going to be FIVE?
God help us.

Adam said...

I bailed after the second. You'd have to pay me serious money to watch any more.

Matt said...

Even I have to admit they need to seriously freshen it up. But I've enough faith in Sam Raimi to believe he can do it.