Thursday 30 August 2007

A Bout de Souffle

Just finished watching this tonight and I'm not sure I can muster enough enthusiasm to write a proper review. It seemed like another supposed classic that isn't half as fun to watch as critics would lead you to believe. Apparently Godard made some choices here that were revolutionary in cinema and for that he deserves credit. But only yesterday was I monaning about jump cuts so if he was responsible for bringing them to the masses then I'm not sure I want to thank him. The jump cuts in A Bout de Souffle seemed to me as if they were employed because he couldn't work out how to film a scene properly. Specifically, we had jump cuts during a car crash, a shooting and a fight - all of which jumped past the critical point in the scene. I found a lot of the film unconvincing, particularly any scene involving the inspector. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, as it wasn't by any means a difficult sit. I'm just not overwhelmed.

No comments: