Wednesday 21 January 2009

Oscar nominations tomorrow

So I've looked into my crystal ball and it tells me the following shall be nominated for Best Picture...

Slumdog Millionaire
Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

and, controversially, Wall*E

Everyone else is saying The Dark Knight for that last slot. I have two problems with that. One: it's a comic book film, and however well received it was, comic book films don't get nominations. And two: it wasn't that good. I think a lone directing nom for Nolan is as likely as a best picture nom for the film, but of course I'm not exactly going to be surprised if the Bat does sneak in. I personally would like to see The Wrestler (almost certainly my film of 08 - review imminent) make it but alas it seems Mickey Rourke will be flying the flag on his own.

The other nom I am looking out for is Kristin Scott Thomas for Best Actress. Never did I think it would be possible for her to miss out but it seems that it might be. The favoured five seem to be...

Winslet, Streep, Hathaway, Leo and Jolie.

I cannot believe it, but KST may miss out yet again. A real shame.

All will be revealed at insane o-clock Pacific time in the States (around 1pm in the UK I think.)

No comments: