Wednesday 16 July 2008

Mamma Mia!

Someone once said there are two kinds of people in the world: those that like ABBA, and those that like ABBA but won't admit it. Whether or not it is cool to like ABBA, I'll happily admit that I do and - whilst I wasn't crazy enough about them to rush and see the stage show - I had enough interest to see Mamma Mia on opening weekend. Part of the lure was seeing Pierce Brosnan singing, part of the lure was Meryl Streep, but mostly I was there to hear Voluez Vous, Knowing Me Knowing You and Waterloo in Dolby Surround. Why then was I thinking what on earth possessed me just two minutes in?

Read the rest

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was awaiting this review on my RSS feed with bated breath!

Bad choreography? Did you not see the mad dancing skills (tiny exaggeration) involving flippers and scuba masks? Granted, the synching was pretty terribly done and there was so much obvious green screen it was ridiculous but by "I guess I smiled once or twice" you really mean you were singing and beaming along, perhaps dancing a little too.

I hope that D is for divine; technical schmecnical, ABBA + Meryl Streep + Pierce Brosnan = pure cinematic wonderment.

Unknown said...

god, if there's one thing I hate it's musicals

Adam said...

ST,

I promise I didn't dance but I perhaps may have been singing along quietly. Actually I do seem to recall the people near me looking over with annoyed expressions once or twice!

Mort,

I tend to hate musicals too but love Chicago and Singin' in the Rain. I'd check those two out before writing off the whole genre if I were you. And of course Moulin Rouge is very good too.

Unknown said...

Have seen Chicago - thought it was ok.

My contention is that muscials would be great if they didn't have songs in them. Casestudy: the Sound of Music.

Let's start a MFV debate....