Saturday 29 March 2008

One Minute Bad Reviews

That is to say these are all reviews of bad films rather than bad reviews. Maybe they're both. And of course when I say they are bad films, what I really mean is that they are alleged masterpieces or at least quite highly regarded. I just didn't like them...

The Seven Samurai

It is no secret that I can't stand the pained expressions and histrionics of the style of acting that characterised Japanese cinema in and around the 1950s. Actors of the era performed with the idea of emulating the Noh form of theatre where actors wore masks. Their facial expressions are designed to appear mask-like but it just ruins the film for me and this is one of the worst examples. I tried watching this before but gave up after 20 minutes. This time I stuck with it but didn't particularly enjoy it. I really don't see the hallmarks of a masterpiece here. It is needlessly long - scenes are painfully extended with the director cutting to face after face to see the same sort of reaction. There's one quite elderly guy (possibly Yohei) who looks like he's about to cry every single time he's on screen and it is infuriating. Not my cup of sake at all. D


Radio Days

I've been on a Woody Allen role of late with Hannah and her Sisters, and The Purple Rose of Cairo cracking the A+ barrier and Zelig and Broadway Danny Rose also faring very well. This however didn't do it for me. There are a couple of wry observations in Allen's semi-autobiographical look at the end of the golden era of radio, but it doesn't have the engrossing characters or plot nor is it consistently funny enough to hold one's interest. C


The Ladykillers

This is the British comedy of 1955 that was remade by the Coens a few years ago to little success. Judging by the original though they were hampered by the source material. A gang of would be crooks plan a bank raid from the home of an old woman who they lodge with, pretending to be classical musicians. It's not very funny, it's not very well acted (yes even Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers can be off their game) and it's so low budget that consecutive shots in the same scene look as though they were filmed in different seasons. One minute it's brilliant sunshine, then we cut to a reaction shot and it appears overcast. All the interior shots are appallingly lit and the whole thing just doesn't hold together very well, with scenes badly strung together, badly edited and even the simplest of action sequences having no coherence. D


The Grapes of Wrath

Another alleged masterpiece another bad grade from me. Maybe I'm just not in a very charitable mood of late, I guess after such a spectacular year in the cinema my expectations are sky high. This though doesn't come close to its Best Picture nominated billing. John Ford won Best Director ahead of Alfred Hitchcock, whose Rebecca won Best Picture and must have directed itself. This was in the days of Picture/Director splits being very rare. Hitchcock never won an Oscar despite deserving at least 3 and the decision to reward Ford here was a strange one. The film doesn't hold up well although I suppose at the time, a young Henry Fonda starring in a very American epic (an adaptation of a pulitzer prize winning Steinbeck novel no less) was the sort of thing that went down well. They should have gone with the Brit though since his film was far more accomplished and the direction in Rebecca is exemplary. The Grapes of Wrath just did not hold my interest at all. Maybe the novel works better. D

5 comments:

Matt said...

Can't understand the hatred for the Seven Samurai. Okay, I totally accept that the acting's not to your taste, but, leaving that aside, I think this is about as perfect as films can get.
The story is simple but perfectly executed (and inspired a ropey Hollywood remake), the action sequences are awe-inspiring - the last, big, fight is probably the greatest action set-piece I've ever seen on screen - and it has a morality which lingers long in the mind. It's a very thought-provoking action film, unusually so I would say. I've seen it three or four times and know I'll come back to it over and over again. It has a real timeless quality to it. Although I accept your comment about the acting, I can't agree with it. Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura are both absolutely terrific and the rest of the cast is, at worst, solid.

Grapes of Wrath. Have never seen it but I am pretty desperate to. It is probably my second favorite book of all time. Stunning, very powerful and also, I'd say, timeless (and also timely). The book was criticised for being overly sentimental and filled with poorly written, cliched, dialogue. I can definitely see a Hollywood film of that era having those faults if it was poorly judged, which, from the sounds of your review, it was. I still want to see it though.

Have little interest in the others you review and that interest has reduced still further!

Like the short review/many-film segement! Worked really well!

Adam said...

Well what on earth did Toshiro Mifune have to do other than look pensive? I really wouldn't call it "absolutely terrific" by any stretch.

Maybe if this was digitally remastered I could enjoy it more, but it looks pretty dreadful.

And the action was a let down. After sitting through 2 hours of build up I expected much more. Best of all time? Have you not seen any of the Terminator films, the opening of Saving Private Ryan, the opening of Gladiator, or any action scene in House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger, or Hero? Heck even the Obi Wan - Darth Maul fight in Episode One was better!

Matt said...

Mifune was the stroppy charismatic one, Shimura was the pensive one. I just thought it was a classy, measured performance that suggested a calm but deeply conflicted leader-character who's trying desperately to strive against a huge amount of adversity. Perfectly judged. Could watch him all day. Seriously.

Re. the last bit of action. It is a stunningly put together, taught, gripping piece of action, during which you're never sure who's going to win. Part of it is, as well, that so much is invested in the characters that you live and breath every sword stroke with them as the rain batters down and down. It's an immaculate set piece. Interesting that you just mention modern films. The beginning of Saving Private Ryan is stunning (and, I suspect, much indebted, to SS), I'll certainly give you that. The Zimou films are aesthetically stunning as well but ultimately look too staged for me. The opening of Gladiator does nothing for me, seen it all before. Glad to see some love for Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul though. Think we're just going to have to disagree about this one. I genuinely think it's a great film, one of my favorites of all time. It has a timeless quality about it that so few films manage to capture though it's possible I've been influenced on that by the black and white.

Unknown said...

I quite like The Ladykillers - its one of those old films you might watch on a sunday with your mum, like 'Spring and Port Wine' or 'Saturday Night and Sunday morning'.

It has been a really slow film month hasn't it. Rose was reduced to watching 'The Village' again last week....

Adam said...

Can't imagine watching The Village more than once. Great cinematography though (Roger Deakins you see).