Tuesday 18 March 2008

Juno (2007)


Okay, so I know that it has become trendy and cool to say that you like and 'get' this film. I don't know if I 'get' it, I think and hope I do, but I certainly like it. In fact, I more than like it. I love it.

I am actually surprised to be sitting here saying that. The film never really took my fancy and even when I did agree to go, I expected nothing greater than a jolly, quirky, light piece of afternoon fare. Not so.

Well, it is all these things. In places, it's a film with a soul lighter and more full of grace than air and it's certainly quirky, with a masterful performance by Ellen Page delivering that aspect to such great effect. It's also so much more than all this, though, and the film is simply littered with great, genuine, characters, who are as ordinary as any I've ever seen on screen, with the possible exception of the late Roy Scheider in Jaws.

That last sentence should point to what a complement this is. Nothing is more difficult to portray than ordinary. Most characters are just that, characters. Some, of course, are deeper than others, many hued, and full of emotion, but so few surpass that to portray the humanity we see before our eyes everyday, a humanity it is so difficult, if not impossible, to bottle. It is to Juno's vast credit that it is a film flooded with performances that take its protagonists to such a level. This is particularly the case with J.K. Simmons' masterful (and I do not use that term lightly) turn as Juno's Dad and Alison Janney's similar effort as her stepmum. They simply do not get enough screentime, though, in fairness, that is more forgivable in a film of this nature than it often is. Olivia Thirlby is also great as Juno's friend Leah. The one slightly less satisfactory effort is Michael Cera as the superbly named Paulie Bleeker. Cera has much work to do to leave the large shadow of George Michael Bluth behind and this performance sailed very close indeed to that wind. I haven't yet mentioned Jennifer Garner and Jason Batemen who are both perfectly cast in roles that end up lending that vital extra dimension to the film that, ultimately, makes it so damn good...

...Their relationship also ends up providing the film's best scene, truly one of those rare and beautiful moments which stay with you long after you've left the stale popcorn smell and stained carpets of the Leicester Odeon. Perfectly pitched and delivered. I have no shame at all in admitting that I cried like I haven't cried for a while.

I know this is a review of Juno but I can't help ending by echoing my colleague's comments about 2007 as a whole as this will be the last film I'll see at the cinema from 2007. It has been a great year, and I've still got many - potential - treats (American Gangster, Into the Wild and others) waiting for me on DVD. Fantastic. So that's an...

A+

For Juno.

Has any film year ever produced three A+ films for a single person before? Well, dear readers, you'll just have to re-read our lists to find out. Unbelievable. And 2008 has delivered another one already.

I'm in dreamland.

2007 completed list to follow soon. Where will Juno - and its protagonists - find themselves?

7 comments:

Adam said...

A+???

It's certainly good but, as GOB Bluth would say...

COME ON!

Adam said...

And what's to "get" or "not get"?

This wasn't Mulholland Dr.!

I'm not sure Een Page's character would be described as normal either. The main criticism I've heard of this film is that teenagers don't actually speak like they did here, which is a reasonable point. It was a little over-written.

I certainly liked it, but don't understand its Oscar nomination in a year littered with a dozen better films.

Page was also about 317 times better in Hard Candy.

Unknown said...

For once I agree with Adam. This is in no way an A+ effort. Matt- I reckon you should have a post film cooling off period before handing out these grades.... :)

I saw a fab Film Four effort last night 'My name is Joe'. About an alcoholic getting his life together in Glasgow. Fantastic.

Adam said...

re: "My Name is Joe"

Let me guess: Gritty Northern working class drama fully of misery and depression?

And yeah a post film cooling off period is about right for Matt! He does tend to get a little giddy after certain films and then his opinion softens somewhat.

Then again he might just love this film just as much next month as he does now!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with matt on this one, this was one of the best if not the best film i have seen from 2007. i would say its a 9/10 effort whatever that means in your weird grading system.

Matt said...

OUCH!

Okay, I expected this review to generate some controversy so it's all good. But...

I have to take exception to the comments about me getting "giddy". This reminds me of the time me and Court took the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

I looked back over our lists today to make sure I hadn't gone totally crazy and saw that there were a couple of years in the noughties where we've given three films A+ grades. I don't think I go crazy with A+ grades, I think this year really has been exceptional. If you had told me I'd see two better films than Jindabyne in June last year I would never have believed you. But I have.

My love of Jesse James has only grown and grown since I saw it. It's on preorder from Amazon, I've got the Bulleit Bourbon ready for the night it's delivered, and think it is potentially a top 25 of all timer. I have a rule, to stop me being giddy, that no film can be considered for top 25 status until two years have elapsed, but it really is that good.

Juno isn't quite as good, but I can't see how a film that left me in tears for a full five minutes afterwards is not worthy of an A+ grade. I hadn't been expecting to love it so much but it's rare that a film leaves me so emotionally fulfilled in such a way.

I agree about the thing about 'getting' it that was just a comment on some of the press I've read about it and how it supposedly works on all these levels. I just think it's a fucking great emotionally driven film. I'll be happy to admit it if I'm wrong, but this film will shortly be on preorder to. I think it's fully deserving of an A+ grade. I don't think you're going to be impressed with my acting lists!

Had a long debate with Katie t'other night about Cloverfield as well and I still think that what it managed to achieve is stunningly original. Others may hate it and disagree, but nothing is going to take away from me the fact that I left this cinema, looked over Leicester, and genuinely imagined some gargantuan Iain Dowiesque beast could be lurking over the horizon. That was a strange feeling. And, again, one that I never expected to have before I went into the film. Cloverfield is already on preorder. Genius.

I doubt this will persuade my doubters. I can, however, promise that I always try to be objective and not punch-drunk when reviewing. I never expected Juno and Cloverfield to hit me in the ways that they have. Also, have seen a few films on DVD in between which have certainly tempered my enthusiasm. Will try and post reviews to restore my reputation! I guess I just chose to review these first because I was so impressed by them.

Sorry for long post but felt the need to defend myself! I'm not going to start on the Talentless Mr Ripley because I know you guys love it. Have to admit, that scene you've quoted between Philip Seymour Hoffman and Matt Damon is brilliant and the films high point. I felt that the rest of it just never sustained it and ended up being as hollow as it's characters, with the exception of the excellent Cate Blachett and Hoffman (and, briefly, Philip Baker Hall).

Phew, time to breath....

Mort - have you got My Name is Joe? Could I borrow it? It sounds interesting. I promise I won't give it an A+ : )

HAPPY EASTER!!!

Adam said...

You absolutely should be giving A+ grades to films that move you in such a way, I'm just surprised this was one of them!

Anyway I enjoyed reading your response and I am fearful of your lists!