Thursday 15 November 2007

Mr and Mrs Smith (2005)

I'm really not quite sure why I watched this. The first half an hour or so is quite enjoyable and watchable but the rest, well, the less said the better. Let me just get one thing straight right off. I have no hatred of, or vendetta against, action films. A well done action film can keep you glued to the edge of your seat. This didn't. The film concerns Mr (Brad Pitt) and Mrs (Angelina Jolie) Smith, two hired assassins neither of whom know the other is an hired assassin. A job goes wrong and they suddenly realise (shock horror) who the other one is.

The plot is laughable and the last 45 minutes or so of the film is spent running away from balaclava-clad bad dudes who want, for some reason, to kill poor old Mr and Mrs Smith just because they're married. Jesus, hitman companies have pretty exacting standards. Count me out, I'll be a spy. Arnie never had this much trouble in True Lies. The worst scene of all involves them beginning to shoot each other for no reason without even questioning whether or not they might actually want to kill their partner of many years. Then they suddenly stop trying to shoot each other with a like amount of questioning. It was at this point I lost faith, though I did persevere until the end. Oh yes, the end. Well, there isn't really one and the film ends very abruptly.

Pitt and Jolie sleepwalk their way through the film, there is no chemistry between them (quite surprising really), and the only good performance comes courtesy of the ever-dependable Vince Vaughn. Adam Brody is sadly far, far, too underused, which is a shame, as his character might actually have been vaguely interesting. At least it can go down as one of the very few 'egalitarian' films we've been harping on about on the site for over a month, it's just a shame it doesn't do such films many favours.

There are a few laughs to be had, but not many, and a few god scenes, but not many. It has very little to recommend it actually, despite a solid first half hour. Avoid.

D

7 comments:

see? i told you... said...

To be honest, I didn't really find it funny at all. Maybe it is more enjoyable for married couples than non-married.

*Did you mean 'Adam Brody'?

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree with most of that! I think Brad and Angie were good (not amazing admitedly) and there was chemistry between them. The plot was maybe a bit silly but it often is in these kinds of films. i thought they did it well and it kept me laughing and entertained (maybe its more of a girls film) right up until the end - ah yes the end - this is the part i agree with you on - it just stopped abruptly, very strange. overall tho a nice light hearted entertaining film. i challenge your ridiculously harsh D with a C+/B- (whichever is 6.5/10). Katie

Matt said...

I agree with see? I told you. "Brad and Angie" were pretty ordinary I thought and I'm a big fan of both. It's true that plot lines in these kinds of films can be dodgy, but they can still work (Die Hard; The Bourne films for example) and make sense within themselves. I didn't feel that about this nonsense.
I thought a D was pretty generous! 6.5 is being very kind indeed.

Whoops, I did indeed mean Adam Brody, thanks for pointing that out!

Unknown said...

Hello, hope you haven't missed me too much recently. Just had to comment on this....

I really liked this film. Don't see what something can;t be a bit silly but also entertaining. I'd give it a B

Can one of you please review brick lane soon?

Bec

Adam said...

Of course you have been missed. You double our readership!

Haven't enough enthusiasm to see Brick Lane I'm afraid, but it sounds more like Matt's sort of film than mine so maybe he will.

Matt said...

Shocking Leicester cinema behaviour re. Brick Lane. Was on one showing for a week then disappeared. Disgraceful.
Mr and Mrs Smith really did nothing for me, couldn't engage with it at all and was glad when it was over. I certainly agree that something can be both silly and entertaining. Hell, I love Napoleon Dynamite, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber, Lady in the Water, and my favorite actor from 1985-1989 is Richard Pryor. Katie would agree with you that this was entertaining. I wouldn't. But I'd certainly agree that it was silly : )
And, yes, you've certainly been missed! You've started two raging debates (okay maybe "raging" is a bit strong) from two posts, keep em' coming!

Matt said...

Fuck it, this thing won't let me edit my comments...

I like a lot more silly films other than the ones I mentioned. Including all three awesome Spiderman films!!!